American Club Elects Officers And Admits Central Gulf Lines
A.B. Kurz, chairman of the American Steamship Owners Mutual Protection and Indemnity Association, commonly known as the American Club, announced at the recent annual meeting that Central Gulf Lines had joined the organization. The addition of Central Gulf as a member brings an additional 454,000 gross tons under the protection and indemnity (P&I) coverage provided by the group. The total tonnage in the group is 3.5 million gross tons.
The American Club is the only nonprofit P&I club in the United States. Day-to-day affairs of the club are handled by the staff of the Shipowners Claims Bureau, Inc., the oldest P&I adjusting and underwriting organization in the United States.
Mr. Kurz, president of Keystone Shipping Co., was reelected chairman of the organization at the meeting. Others reelected were Norman Scott, president of American President Lines, deputy chairman, and John H. Casedy of the Shipowners Claims Bureau, secretary. Louis J. Gusmano of Kirlin, Campbell & Keating was named counsel.
Other directors elected to serve on the board for the coming year included George C. Halstead, Alcoa Steamship Co.; Herbert A. Crompton, Trinidad Corp.; Thomas J. Smith, Farrell Lines; John J. Ervin, Mathiasen's Tanker Industries, Inc.; Carl Swenson, Farrell Lines; John T. DiPalermo, American President Lines; J.
Donald Kenny, American President Lines; Sal P. Tarantino, Pacific Far East Line; John I. Alioto, Pacific Far East Line; Joseph W. Dickover, States Steamship Co.; Edward J. Kettel, Atlantic Richfield Co.; Charles Kurz II, Margate Shipping Co.; Spyros Skouras, Presidential Lines; Anthony R. Maio, Prudential Lines; Edward P. Walsh, Waterman Steamship Corp.; and Erik F.
Johnson, Central Gulf Lines.
Other stories from April 1976 issue
- Floats Ships Off Building Platform Into Drydock page: 6
- MarAd Approves Title XI To Finance $23.2-Million Barge/Towboat Program page: 8
- Bethlehem Appoints R. Newcomb Treasurer Shipbuilding Operations page: 8
- Schedule And Papers— SNAME Spring Meeting In Philadelphia, Pa. page: 10
- Russians Buy Oil Barriers From U.S. page: 12
- Todd To Build Six Guided Missile Frigates For Navy At Base Price Of $295 Million page: 13
- Marketing Expert Joins Oil Mop As Executive VP page: 14
- GAO Wants To Know Why Navy Is Not Using Commercial Tugboats page: 20
- Vancouver Shipyards Moves 457-Foot Ferry To Launching Position On Film Of Water page: 23
- Northern New England Section Of ASNE Elects Officers For 1976 page: 24
- Three-Year Navy Salvage Contract Awarded To Crowley page: 25
- Samson Ocean Systems Names R.H. Blanchette Regional Manager page: 25
- Evergreen Marine Corp. Announces New Ships And Plans New Services page: 27
- American Club Elects Officers And Admits Central Gulf Lines page: 27
- Navy Awards Bath Iron $224-Million Contract For Five Missile Frigates page: 28
- N.Y. SNAME To Hold Tanker Symposium At Kings Pt. April 23 page: 32
- Connecticut Company To Represent Swedish C-P Propeller Firm page: 33
- AWO Elects Geary Chairman Of Board —Directors Named page: 34
- Dual Keel-Layings Mark Submarine Tender Construction At Lockheed Shipbuilding And Construction Company page: 36
- Canadian Yards Building For Export page: 37
- 2nd International Symposium On Ship Operation Automation Set For Washington In August page: 37
- Tubbs And FitzGerald Named Vice Presidents At Donhaiser Marine page: 39
- Halter Marine Delivers Crewboat For Service In Arabian Gulf page: 41
- First Swedish-Owned Oil Rig Commissioned At Bethlehem-Beaumont page: 42
- Far East Levingston Names Lovie & Co. U.S. Representative page: 43
- Shipbuilders Council Elects Officers page: 43
- Halter Marine Names A.J. Rizzo Director Of Public Relations page: 44
- McDevitt Named President Of Three Maritime Firms page: 44
- SNAME Los Angeles Section Hears Of Conversion Of Existing Schooner Hull To Brig Pilgrim page: 45
- SNAME San Diego Section Hears Discussion Of Engineers' Tasks page: 46
- DeLaval IMO Pump Division Publishes Illustrated Bulletin On Pumps For Gas Turbines page: 48
- SNAME Philadelphia Section Discusses The Why And How Of Offshore Oil/Gas Drilling page: 48
- ARCO Installs Unit To Evaluate MARISAT page: 49
- Kawasaki-Built Ore Carrier Develops 18 Knots On Trials page: 50
- R.T. Greene Forms New Marine Company page: 50
- Conoco And Gulf Oil Enter Agreement With British On North Sea Oil Production page: 51