Sydney Tharrington Elected President Marine Square Club
Walter Thorsen, president, Walter Thorsen Inc. and past president of the Marine Square > Club, recently announced the election and installation of officers in the Marine Square Club. The officers are as follows: Comdr. Sydney Tharrington, USCG (ret.), Amoco International Oil Company, president; Gerhart Malunet, American Bureau of Shipping, first vice president.
The r e m a i n i n g officers are: Bruce Batalie, second vice president; Otto Myer, t r e a s u r e r ; George Allen, secretary; Albert Estes and Comdr. Albert Schroeder masters-at-arms.
Twelve members were elected to the board of governors with Gerhart Malunet, first vice president, as chairman of the board.
A total of 22 committee members were elected. Probably the best-known in the marine industry is the Banquet Committee with Wilbur Stiles, Victory Carriers, chairman, and James Bergstrom, Texaco Marine Department, vice chairman.
The Marine Square Club has just completed its 50th successful year of operation. It is an organization of men in the Masonic Fraternity affiliated with the marine industry. Its primary objective is promotion of brotherhood within the industry, and to further and support the marine industry in general.
It has a number of activities planned for the coming year. The most prominent is its Annual Banquet.
The proceeds of the banquet go to the Scholarship Fund of the Maritime College, Fort Schuyler, N.Y.
Other stories from March 1978 issue
- Pacific Far East Line To Sell Three Vessels page: 4
- Lockheed Launches Second Of Three 23,000-Ton Submarine Tenders page: 6
- Planning Research Corporation Wins $1.6-Million Contract To Modernize Army Watercraft page: 7
- Planning Research And Morris Guralnick Work On $500,000 Project page: 8
- Propeller Symposium Slated For May 1978 At Virginia Beach, Va. page: 10
- B&W To Transfer Control Of German Nuclear Firm To Brown Boveri Group page: 10
- CAI Appoints Gerald Harrison VP And Director Of Engineering page: 11
- Literature Describes Matched Systems Of Navigational Aids page: 11
- Sun Names Martinson Program Manager For Matson Containership page: 14
- Gamlen Chemical Names Kevin Smith Great Lakes Sales Rep page: 14
- Litton Exhibits New Load Monitoring System page: 16
- Pacific Northwest Section Hears Paper On Application Of Seakeeping Analysis page: 16
- Northwest Marine Iron Works Awarded $8-Million Navy Contract page: 18
- C.F. Bean Names John Lescroart VP For Washington Office page: 22
- Arab Shipbuilding And Repair Yard Officially Inaugurated At Bahrain page: 22
- Maritime Industry Impact On Nation's Economy Shown In MarAd Report page: 23
- ASNE Flagship Section Hears Dr. Thomas Cooper On Military R&D Programs page: 26
- Santa Fe Drilling Names Parry Manager All Drilling Rigs page: 26
- Sun Ship Lands Contract To Construct 720-Foot Containership For Matson Navigation page: 27
- Culpepper And Renehan Announces Formation Of New Steamship Agency page: 27
- SNAME Chesapeake Section Discusses Steering, Maneuvering And Controllability Of Surface Ships page: 27
- Planning Navigation/Communication Conference To Be Held In New York March 21, 22 And 23 page: 28
- Red Fox Announces New Type Marine Sanitation Device page: 29
- 'The Seaborne Transportation Of Liquefied Natural Gas 1977-1985 —Trades, Costs And Revenues' page: 32
- Bird-Johnson Company Appoints Alan Hanson page: 33
- International Ocean Transport Corporation Names Joseph Kearney page: 33
- Gotaas-Larsen Names Nyholm Executive VP page: 34
- Nimmo Named President Baker Marine Engineers page: 34
- LNG Docking Facility Contract Awarded To Raymond International page: 35
- Anastassios Fondaras Elected Chairman Tuned Sphere Int'l page: 36
- Goodwin And Ritchie Named Vice Presidents By Cleveland Tankers page: 38
- Economical Gas Turbine Paper Presented At ASNE Meeting In Groton page: 39
- Literature Available On Galbraith-Pilot Marine Packaged System Concept page: 39
- Hofmeister Named VP Flexi-Van Leasing, Inc. page: 40
- Bearing Condition Checked By New SPM Technique page: 40
- Lucian Q. Moffitt Names National Marine Enterprises page: 41
- Timmons & Charles, Inc. Appoints George Mahaly page: 41
- Nicolai Joffe Corp. Offers Brochure On Replacement Machinery page: 41
- Dr. Irene Peden Named To Kings Pt. Advisory Board page: 42
- Sydney Tharrington Elected President Marine Square Club page: 43
- Los Angeles Marine Societies Annual Joint Meeting page: 43
- MarAd Releases Report On Feasibility Of Exporting Slurried Coal page: 44
- DeLaval Appoints Foltz General Manager For Middle East page: 44
- Moran Appoints Capt. McVay —Names William Watt Assistant page: 47
- Capt. Stream And L.R. Glosten Form M.A. Stream Associates page: 48
- DeLaval Names Scordo Turbine And Compressor Division Sales Manager page: 49
- Richard M. Currence Named President Pott Offshore Division page: 49
- Ocean Fleets Limited Appoints Steven And Adams page: 50
- Port Of Palm Beach Building $4,500,000 Sugar Terminal page: 50