Quality Delivers Towing/Supply Vessel To Gulf Fleet Marine
Gulf Fleet Marine Corporation of New Orleans recently took delivery of the Gulf Fleet No. 41, a towing/supply vessel measuring 190 feet by 40 feet by 14 feet.
The No. 41 is Gulf Fleet's 101st vessel, and the seventh delivered this year.
Built in Houma, La. by Quality Shipyards, Inc. a Gulf Fleet company, this vessel represents one phase of an aggressive construction program that projects an additional $12 million of new vessels during the next 10 months.
Powered by twin GM Electro- Motive Division 16-645-E2 diesel engines that develop a total of 3,000 bhp at 900 rpm, driving through a pair of Reintjes WAV 481, 3:1 reduction gears, the vessel is capable of a sustained speed of 13 knots.
The vessel has a clear deck space of 96 feet by 32 feet, and maximum deck cargo capacity of 522 long tons. Under-deck tanks hold 520 tons of drill water, while bulk tanks have a total capacity of 5,800 cubic feet that can be transferred at a rate of 50 tons per hour. The vessel is fitted with liquid mud tanks with 1,250- barrel capacity, which can be transferred at a rate of 600-800 gpm at 170 feet head. Calcium chloride tanks also provide a capacity of 1,250 barrels.
The Gulf Fleet No. 41 has a SMATCO 66 DAW200, doubledrum towing winch with a capacity of 2,500 feet of 2-inch cable on each drum. Equipped with a 5-foot by 8-foot stern roller, the vessel has a measured bollard pull of 70,000 pounds. She is built to U.S. Coast Guard specifications, and is classed by the American Bureau of Shipping as + A1 (AMS) All Oceans, Towing.
Gulf Fleet Marine is one of the Houston Natural Gas Corporation group of companies.
Other stories from September 15, 1980 issue
- MMS Forms Subsidiary To Serve Clients In United Kingdom/Europe page: 4
- J.M. Colonell Appointed Senior Project Engineer For Woodward-Clyde page: 4
- Third Navy Destroyer Tender Launched At NASSCO Yard page: 6
- SSI Introduces Emergency Anchor Windlass System- Literature Available page: 6
- F. Shepherd Promoted At Designers & Planners— Pramud Rawat Joins Firm page: 7
- Canonie Forms New Subsidiary- Appoints Three New Executives page: 10
- Armco Restructures Western Steel Division Into Three Groups page: 10
- Toronto Firm Proposes Truck/Trailer RO/RO Run Across Lake Ontario page: 11
- Avondale Lays Keel For Fourth Navy Fleet Oiler page: 12
- TBW Industries Gets $5-Million Order For SMATCO Deck Equipment page: 12
- Thomas Ternes Joins Guralnick Associates As Supervisory Engineer page: 13
- HUD Moves Head Office To Tsing Yi Island— Kowloon Yard Closed page: 13
- Multi-Purpose Mobilization Ship page: 14
- S/S 'United States'— A Second Life For World's Fastest Passenger Liner? page: 14
- Dixie Dredge Delivers Four Vessels To Egyptian Dredging page: 18
- Twin Disc Forms New Task Force To Market Marine Transmissions page: 18
- Quality Delivers Towing/Supply Vessel To Gulf Fleet Marine page: 18
- New Company Will Offer Underwater Vehicle Inspection Services page: 22
- Ferrous Has Proportioning Pump For Fuel Additive- Literature Available page: 22
- Joseph Quinn Named President Of Reorganized Devoe Marine Coatings page: 23
- Furuno Radar Simulator Installed At California Maritime Academy page: 23
- Boeing Jetfoil Sold To Argentine Owner—Christened Montevideo Jet page: 24
- National Supply Patents Subsea Template System —Literature Available page: 25
- Hitachi Gets Jackup Rig Orders From Danish And Netherlands Owners page: 26
- E.H. Barron Joins Overseas Enterprises As Director Of Chartering page: 26
- New Brochure On Gears And Gear Units Now Available From Farrel page: 26
- Promet Gets Repeat Orders From Two U.S. Companies page: 28
- New Jackup Drilling Rig page: 30
- AWO's Shipyard Conference Honors Renshaw For Leadership page: 30
- Wichita Has PTOs For Large Diesel Engines- Literature Available page: 32
- New UPSCO Shipyard Begins Production page: 36
- Bath Saves Time-Money With New Ship Insulation —Literature Available page: 38
- Lance Melik Appointed Director Of Marketing For Twin Disc, Inc. page: 38
- MTC '80 page: 40
- Rockwell Publishes New Cast Steel Valve Catalog page: 42
- MarAd Awards CDS For Mormac Conversions To Cost $4.4 Million Total page: 42
- New Brochure Explaining Combustion Catalysts Available From Ferrous page: 42
- MarAd Study Reports $9.8 Billion Needed To Expand U.S. Ports page: 43
- Coal-Burning Bulkers Ordered From Yards In Italy And Japan page: 48
- CDI Marine Awarded Navy Design Contracts Totaling $3.2 Million page: 48
- Tacoma Boat To Build Nine USCG Cutters At Cost Of $646 Million page: 50
- Michigan Wheel Will Market Bow Thrusters —Literature Available page: 51
- U.S. Yards Invited To Bid On First Maritime Prepositioning Ships page: 51
- Dravo Lays Keel For Towboat Ordered By People's Republic Of China page: 52
- Jeffboat-Built 'Conti-Karla7 Christened At Chicago's Navy Pier page: 53
- Mid-Coast Marine Delivers Second Trawler And Tugboat page: 54