Morris Guralnick Firm Awarded Two Contracts For Conversion Designs
Morris Guralnick Associates, Inc.
(MGA) has been awarded two contracts under which the San Francisco- based firm of naval architects and marine engineers will assist with the engineering and design phase in the conversion and modification of two ships to be operated by the Military Sealift Command.
The first contract, awarded by Continental Maritime of San Francisco, Inc., calls for MGA to prepare the designs, studies, construction drawings, and other data required in converting the former American President Lines containership President Monroe to an Auxiliary Crane Ship (T-ACS-2).
Under the second contract, placed by Northwest Marine Iron Works of Portland, MGA will assist the Oregon shipyard in modifications to be made to the USNS Observation Island (T-AGM-23), a former Mariner Class freighter that has been converted into a missile tracking ship.
Modifications to the President Monroe include removal of all conventional cargo gear and replacement with three sets of twin pedestal cranes, each crane with a lifting capacity of 30 metric tons. Accommodations will be expanded to carry 89 persons, and two new 1,640-kw diesel generators will be installed to power the increased electrical load.
Changes on the Observation Island include addition of a deckhouse to increase personnel accommodations, upgrading of electronic systems, installation of two evaporators, and raising the height of the stack.
Other stories from February 15, 1985 issue
- Imi-Tech Awarded $300,000 In Navy Research Contracts page: 4
- Two More U.S. Lines Containerships Delivered Early By Daewoo Yard page: 5
- Whitey Introduces New Severe Service Valve page: 5
- Loftus Succeeds Graham As Vice President-Sales For Moran Towing page: 6
- Coburn Appointed Area Manager For Sea-Land— Martin Named Port Manager page: 6
- Gulf Coast Trailing Dredge Under Construction At Twin City Shipyard page: 6
- Laviola And Adelman Named Corporate Vice Presidents At M. Rosenblatt & Son Firm page: 6
- Chaplin Appointed Vice President-Development For Bell Aerospace Textron page: 7
- Szczypinski Named Vice President Of Techmatics page: 7
- Folk Signs License Agreement With Renk For Reverse-Reduction Drives page: 8
- Mitsui Delivers Bulk Carrier To Kohoi Shipping Of Hong Kong page: 8
- W.A.I.T.! Alloy Identification Kits Introduced By Fenner page: 8
- Tracor Awarded $16-Million Contract For Automated Communications System page: 10
- St. Pe Succeeds Erb As President of Ingalls Shipbuilding Division page: 10
- FMC Offers Brochure On High-Capacity Centrifugal Pumps page: 11
- OFFSHORE GOTEBORG 85 page: 12
- FMC Offers Compact Turbine-Driven Centrifugal Boiler-Feed Pump page: 19
- Society Of Marine Consultants Reviews Arctic Oil Transportation page: 20
- Amor And Frayling Named Vice Presidents For Lister Diesels page: 20
- Navy Buys 11 More Ships For Ready Reserve Fleet At Cost Of $82.5 Million page: 21
- Peterson Yard Launches Another Rescue/Salvage Vessel For Navy page: 22
- MarAd Approves Sale Of Delta Line To U.S. Lines page: 22
- Boeing Sells Jetfoil To Canadian Company For Marine Research page: 22
- New York SNAME Meeting Hears Paper On Shipboard Computers page: 22
- Third Rowan Gorilla Drilling Rig Delivered By Marathon LeTourneau page: 28
- Morris Guralnick Firm Awarded Two Contracts For Conversion Designs page: 29
- Navy Awards NASSCO $14 Million For Overhaul Of Tank Landing Ship page: 29
- OIL SPILL CONFERENCE page: 30
- FAIRNESS, SIMPLICITY AND ECONOMIC GROWTH page: 37
- New Racal-Decca Problem-Solving Electronics Unveiled page: 41
- SweetWater RO Unit Selected For Antarctic Expedition By British page: 42
- Wartsila Delivers Combination Tanker xTavi' To Neste Oy page: 42
- Sea-Land Cranes Complete Trip From Japan To Port Of Tacoma page: 47
- General Thermodynamics Offers Free Literature On 300-A BMEP Balancer page: 48
- Worthington Offers Free Publication On Fire-Fighting Monitors page: 48
- Nelson Industries Introduces xBilge Boy' Oily Water Separator page: 51