Navy Announces Homeport Sites In Gulf Coast Area
After reviewing the results of a year-long Gulf Coast strategic study, the Secretary of Defense has announced homeporting decisions affecting nine Gulf Coast cities. The plan, to be implemented in the late 1980s and early 90s, involves some 29 ships and approximately 15,000 personnel.
The current Navy shipbuilding program will add 130 vessels by the end of the decade. Current homeport areas are at or near capacity, and prudent military planning dictates that the Navy disperse its increased fleet. This strategic dispersal, along with the lowest possible cost to the Navy, were the determining factors in the decision.
The Navy's plan calls for the battleship Wisconsin (BB-64), a cruiser, destroyer, and minesweeper, to be homeported in Corpus Christi, Texas. In addition, the Navy training carrier will be shifted from Pensacola, Fla., to Corpus upon completion of facilities. Two frigates and three minesweepers will be homeported in the Houston/Galveston areas as part of the Surface Action Group initiative.
Five ships will be homeported in Louisiana—two mine warfare vessels and an oiler in Lake Charles, and two additional fast sealift ships in the New Orleans area at Violet.
A decision has also been made to station the 15th Navy carrier battle group in the Gulf. An operational carrier (replacing the training carrier) and a mine warfare ship will be stationed in Pensacola. Two destroyers, two frigates, and a minesweeper will go to Mobile, Ala. Pascagoula, Miss., will be homeport for two cruisers and two destroyers. A mine warfare vessel will be based in Gulfport, Miss.
Rounding out the Navy's move to the Gulf Coast will be homeporting of a landing craft repair ship, a salvage ship, and the establishing of a shore-based ocean surveillance ship support group in Key West, Fla.
Other stories from August 15, 1985 issue
- Navy Announces Homeport Sites In Gulf Coast Area page: 5
- Hunt Associates And Gladding-Hearn Collaborate On Pilot Boat Design page: 6
- Johnson-Duramax Stuffing Boxes Make Packing Changes Easier page: 6
- Versatile FPSO Manifold System Eliminates Fluid Swivels page: 7
- Consolidation Of Chevron And Gulf Fleets Announced page: 7
- Murdock Engineering Introduces New Tension System Design page: 7
- Jeffboat Delivers River Towboat M/V Cletus To Luhr Brothers page: 8
- Reagan Nominates Navy's First Space And Warfare Systems Commander page: 8
- Total Transportation Systems Acquires Kenmark page: 8
- New Navigation System From Odin Electronics page: 8
- Free Brochure On Piston And Plunger Pumps From Cat Pumps page: 9
- Aluminum Boats, Inc. Delivers 'Abeer Nine' To Saudi Arabia page: 10
- Unique Controllers Operate Cargo Area HVAC System On New MPS page: 10
- Halter Delivers Rocket Booster Recovery Vessel 'Independence' page: 11
- Australia Plans To Build Diesel-Electric Submarines Of European Design page: 11
- Arnessen Offers Full-Color Brochure On Atlas-Danmark Freshwater Generators page: 11
- 'FUEL SAV-R —New Fuel Monitor From National Control Systems page: 12
- Wartsila Vasa 32 Engine In Demand For New Generation Drilling Rigs page: 12
- Wartsila-Normed Joint Venture To Manufacture Diesels In France page: 13
- Racai Wins Contract From State Of Louisiana For Marine Simulator page: 14
- Pettit Paint Expands Antifoulings Market Base page: 15
- OFFSHORE EUROPE 85 Exhibition & Conference page: 16
- NMEA Annual Meeting To Be Held October 13-15 In Seattle page: 29
- Manitowoc Announces Six New Personnel Additions At Manitex Subsidiary page: 29
- Bailey Technical Center Opens In Beijing, China page: 37
- Wager Announces New Diesel Exhaust Meter page: 37
- Free 32-Page Full-Color Brochure Details Hagglunds Cargo Cranes page: 37
- Unaflex Introduces 'Supreme' Tapered Expansion Joints page: 38
- Carrier Transicold Donates Air Conditioning Units To Cousteau Vessel page: 38
- WABCO Offers Free Brochure On HelmMaster® Control Systems page: 44
- John Crane Bulletin Describes New Compact Package Seals page: 44
- Hayward Expands Duplex Basket Strainer Line page: 44
- Mark Controls Expands SD Butterfly Control Valve Line page: 45
- Shipbuilding Standards Groups Seeking Participants page: 45