Kvichak's Pilot Boat Comes Back From Flunking Test
During a 360-degree stability test of Chinook by Kvichak Marine, the 72-ft.
(21.9 m) pilot boat failed because a fire extinguisher broke loose during the roll and shattered a port window, allowing the pilothouse to flood. Since the flooding altered the center of gravity on Chinook.
the vessel was then laid on its side until all the water was pumped out.
Following this procedure, three hours later, the vessel's window was replaced and the roll was attempted again — this time with successful results.
Kvichak is near completion of this allaluminum pilot boat for the Columbia River Bar Pilots Association of Astoria, Ore. Designed by Camarc, the vessel is intended to right itself during a rollover due to its center of gravity, buoyancy and hull design.
The rollover was accomplished with a Foss supplied barge crane and strapped belts under the hull. As the crane lifted the belts, Chinook was turned over 180 degrees, upon where the straps released themselves — allowing the vessel to successfully right itself.
Circle 3 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from August 2000 issue
- Behemoth in the offing? page: 8
- Net gains for yards page: 10
- Double act for the Baltic page: 10
- Propeller & Shafting Symposium Set For September page: 13
- ShipDesk Strives To Carve A Niche page: 15
- Atlantis Interactive Inspects With ShipCheck page: 17
- EDG Elects New Marine Engineering Head page: 19
- Kvichak's Pilot Boat Comes Back From Flunking Test page: 21
- Repair Market Gains Muscle page: 25
- 'Waterfront Academy' To Teach Students About Shipbuilding page: 25
- Oceaneering Helps Historic Sub Recovery page: 29
- U.S. Vessel Loan Guarantees: Myths And Realities page: 31
- OpSail 2000: Parade Of Tall Ships Graces New York's Waters page: 34
- Construction Commences On Milestone Cruise Vessel page: 37
- Bollinger Delivers 254 ft. Multi-Service Vessel page: 37
- Shipbuilding in a Box? page: 39
- USCG "Paint Floats" Make Arduous Task Easier, More Environmentally Sound page: 42
- Passenger Vessels With Pedigrees page: 47
- "Classic Italian" From Finland? page: 48
- Costa Atlantica First To Earn RINA's Green Star page: 49
- Incat Launches Its Own New "Milenium" page: 59
- Mayflower Lines Is Newest U.S.-Flagged Operation page: 59
- WaveMaster Lands Ten Ferry Order page: 61
- MAN B&W Diesel Selected By TOTE page: 61
- ICCL Addressed Safety, ADA Features Of Cruise Ships page: 61
- U.S. Court Of Appeals Rules On Disabilities Act page: 61
- Welcome The Little Black Box page: 64
- Ruggedized Panasonic Notebooks Fit For Maritime Use page: 66
- Legal Matters Top Ship Repair And Conversion Agenda page: 67
- Astano Repairs Largest In Five Years page: 67