Flexlife Completes Field Trial for Chevron
Flexlife, a provider of flexible pipe technologies and engineering services, used its new integrity monitoring technology at Chevron’s Captain field in the U.K. North Sea. FlexGuard is an early detection system for possible riser integrity issues, designed to provide continuous real-time data on the condition of flexible risers. With more than 3,000 risers in use globally, with this number forecast to rise to 5,000 by 2015, and 35% forecast to suffer some form of outer sheath damage, the cost savings and environmental benefits are immense.
Since its inception in 2007, Flexlife has developed a range of patented technology with the aim of reducing the risk of costly equipment failure. FlexGuard incorporates Flexlife’s patented non-invasive, award winning ultrasonic (UT) scanning technology in the form of a lightweight collar permanently fitted to flexible risers.
The new monitoring tool provides the operator with instant, continuous monitoring of any subsea riser, the company said. This information can be acquired remotely from any location in the world – ensuring a failsafe early warning system providing major cost and safety benefits.
The system can be installed either during installation or by retrofit to risers already in operation in the field.
(As published in the July 2013 edition of Maritime Reporter & Engineering News - www.marinelink.com)
Other stories from July 2013 issue
- Inspired Youth page: 8
- Powering Ahead Cleanly page: 14
- Are our Ports Safe? page: 16
- LNG Fueled Vessels page: 18
- Eliminating Waste Water Discharge page: 20
- Shipping Registries and Piracy Response page: 24
- IRS to Leverage R&D for a New Dynamic Role page: 28
- Brazil Class page: 30
- Asia Pacific Spill Response OSRL Increases Capabilities page: 34
- Heinen & Hopman Complete HVAC Project page: 36
- Challenger Marine Condensing Unit page: 36
- Flexlife Completes Field Trial for Chevron page: 36
- CMA CGM Marco Polo Fitted with Marinestar page: 36
- Maintenance-free Gyro Compass page: 37