Great Ships of 2013: Shuttle Tanker RIO 2016 for TEN
RIO 2016 is the first vessel in a series of two shuttle tanker in Brazilian water operation, designed by Sungdong Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering for Tsakos Energy Navigation Ltd., two companies with a long and good historic relationship. This vessel was chartered to Petroleo Brasileiro SA.
The ship is built under the survey of DNV and designed in accordance with IACS common structure rule (CSR). The vessel has six pairs of cargo oil tanks, two slop tanks, fore and aft peak tanks, segregated water ballast tanks, fuel oil tanks and fresh water tanks. Cargo tanks are divided by plane type transverse and longitudinal bulkhead. Engine room and living quarters, and the navigation bridge are located aft.
The ship was been designed as IMO DP Class 2 shuttle tanker, and is outfitted with a single slow speed diesel engine, one controllable pitch propeller, two bow and one stern thrusters, one bow and one stern retractable azimuth thruster and a bow loading system suitable for tandem loading operation in the Brazilian Waters-Campos Basin. It has a flush deck with forecastle deck for arrangement of the bow loading system. And the full spade rudder with flap system has been installed for good maneuverability.
The main engine of MAN 6S70ME-C8.2 Tier II is derated to 15,200 kW of MCR at 82rpm for fuel economy and flexible operation at part load. The speed of the vessel at draft of 16m is 14.8 knots at 90% MCR (13,680 kW) with 15% sea margin.
The cargo pumping system allows a maximum unloading rate of cargo oil 12,000 cu. m./hr. with three cargo oil pumps. The maximum cargo loading rate is 17,000 cu. m./hr. through midship cargo manifold or a cargo loading rate of 9,000 cu. m./hr. through the bow loading station. The vessel is equipped with Bow/Stern tunnel thruster having a power of 2,200 kW and azimuth thruster having a power of 2,500 kW with single speed motor for using dynamic positioning and auxiliary propulsion.
Length, o.a. 278.5m
Length, b.p. 264m
Deadweight Tonnage 155,710 ton
Displacement 183,367 ton
Gross Tonnage 83,078 ton
Speed 14.8 knots
Cargo oil 167,500 cu. m.
Heavy oil 500 cu. m.
Marine diesel and gas oil 500 cu. m.
Water ballast: 52,600 cu. m.
Main Engines MAN B&W / 6S70ME-C8.2
Cargo control system Saab
Fire detection system Hanla
Fire extinguishing systems NK
Integrated bridge Kongsberg
Bridge control system HHI
Sewage plant Jonghap Machinery
Bow Loading System Aker Pusnes AS
DP system Kongsberg
Diesel switch Jowa Technology
(As published in the December 2013 edition of Maritime Reporter & Engineering News - www.marinelink.com)
Other stories from December 2013 issue
- Coming your way, a 3% rise in Operating Costs page: 10
- Five Minutes With: Tore Morten Olsen, Astrium Services page: 12
- Marine Cybersecurity: Is Your Ship Safe? Are You Sure? page: 16
- U.S. Export Reform: New Year, New Rules page: 18
- U.S. Port Security and the Impact of Sequester & Budget Woes page: 20
- Global Port Security and BMT Isis page: 22
- LED Lighting: Reduced Costs, Enhanced Safety page: 24
- India's Maritime Growth Fueled by Foreign Companies page: 26
- New Crane from Liebherr for Harbors, Offshore page: 28
- Ship Power: Out of the Past Comes Wärtsilä's Engine of the Future page: 30
- The Navy’s Battlewagon of the 21st Century page: 34
- Maersk’s Mammoth Containerships Making History page: 40
- New Bulk Carrier from Imabari Offers Unique Advantages page: 42
- Damen PSV 3300: A Diamond in the Rough page: 43
- Bourbon and CGG Partner for Seismic Survey Success page: 44
- Great Ships of 2013: Shuttle Tanker RIO 2016 for TEN page: 45
- Great Ships of 2013: Bow Pioneer page: 46
- Great Ships of 2013: Hornbeck’s HOSMAX 300 Series page: 47
- Great Ships of 2013: Oceanex Connaigra page: 48
- Great Ships of 2013: Hydra Voyager page: 48
- Great Ships of 2013: Damen Modular Barge page: 49
- What’s New with Floating Production? page: 50
- New Monitoring System from Rexroth page: 56
- Regal Motors Win Russian OK page: 56
- Jotun Debuts New Eco Antifouling page: 56
- New “Energy Demand Forecast System for Ships” page: 56
- Ultra Steam Turbine Plants page: 56
- Delta Plasma Rotator Launched page: 56
- LaBorde Launches New Compact Power Unit page: 56
- MTU Gensets for British Combat Ship page: 57
- Product Spotlight: Viking LifeCraft Evacuation System page: 57
- Sherwin-Williams Launch Marine Coatings App page: 57
- SMT Develops Robotic Tube Cutter page: 57
- Optimarin Inks Ballast Water Treatment Deal with V.Ships page: 57
- SturdiLED LED Floodlight Released page: 57
- IHC Debuts “Zero-Pollution” Seal page: 57